Precision control of humidity levels maintains produce quality throughout the voyage
Perishable cargo exposed to high humidity levels can suffer fungal disorders and mold growth. However, if the humidity drops too low, produce can dehydrate, lose weight or change appearance. APL’s state-of-the-art reefer containers are equipped with dehumidification systems which enable relative humidity to be set between 60% and 95% and controlled according to cargo requirements.
SMARTair is APL’s humidification solution that effectively maintains the reefer humidity in the optimum range to ensure maximum protection for cargo including pharmaceuticals, electronic components, onions and photographic film. Using the correct techniques guarantees dry packing of produce and prevents rotting and fungal development.
- Large evaporator coil, efficient heating elements and water drainage systems enhance the dehumidification capacity
- Enables relative humidity to be set between 60% and 85%
- Humidity levels can be actively controlled according to cargo requirements
- Ensures dry-packing, prevents rotting and reduces fungal development
- Prevents high humidity levels that can cause growth of mold and bacteria in addition to fungal disorders
Examples of products that benefit from SMARTair
- Pharmaceutical products
- Electronic components
- Photographic film
Our advanced refrigerated shipment solutions also extend to the specialist transport of flower bulbs. As an extension of our dehumidification processes, customers can specify evaporator fan speeds, defrost termination sensor settings and lower humidity levels to optimize storage conditions for a wide range of bulbs. APL’s containers are also ATO certified by research institution Agrotechnology and Food Innovations.
- Humidity levels are controlled to meet optimal air ventilation and air circulation
- Approved T-bars height of at least 60mm in 40ft container and 30mm in 20ft container
- Four cleans and open drain holes in the corners of the reefer container
- Facilitates control of stringent temperature, ventilation and humidity requirements
- Accommodates the need for optimal storage conditions
Examples of products that benefit from bulb mode
- All types of flower bulbs