The Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) program is a U.S. requirement mandated by the Maritime Transportation Security Act (MTSA). Compliance with TWIC requires that individuals needing unescorted access to regulated vessels and facilities obtain a TWIC.
TWIC is a tamper-resistant biometric credential. The program is overseen by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and the United States Coast Guard (USCG).
Useful Links and Information
TWIC General and Enrollment Information
- Transportation Security Administration (TSA) website
Policy Advisory Council Decisions
TWIC/MTSA PAC-0309 Change 4
- 30 day unescorted access extension to individuals awaiting receipt of replacement TWIC
- Escorting requirements for passengers traveling with commercial truck drivers
TWIC/MTSA PAC-0809 Change 1
- Incorporating TWIC into existing physical access control systems
TWIC/MTSA PAC-0111br/] - Voluntary use of TWIC readers
Federal Register Notice - 23 AUG 2016
- USCG - TWIC Reader - Final Ruling
Federal Register Notice - 19 Jun 2012
-TSA - Exemption from TWIC Expiration Provisions